[kictanet] Social media & the demolition of a church & clinic

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 7 12:39:09 EAT 2011

Hi,

Many of us have commented on how social media was used in Tunisia and Egypt to
pressure the incumbent and we suggested that Kenya might be at the precipice of
the same.

From the actions over the past two weeks namely the demolition by unknown people
with undated court orders and blank title deeds of a Church off Juja Road in
Eastleigh and a council clinic in high-ridge is an indication that social media
in Kenya is basically that, social.

If social media was going to drive change in this country Christians should have
been mobilised 2 weeks ago to prevent the demolition of the church and the rest
of us over the past weekend to stop the demolition of the public clinic.

Kisia got notified so late that by the time he got to site of the clinic the
bulldozer had pulled down one side of the building and had already exited the
location.  No one was even able to get through to the tsar if corruption Dr. P
Lumumba, he never appeared on site and neither had the Minister of Public
Health.

The minister of medical services is away in the US, as per article on the press,
but should have gotten a posting on his wall about what was transpiring or even
an earlier alert of what was  being planned.

If social media will create a change then the intention to demolition either of
the 2 facilities should have started chatter ignited by a single posting by the
typist at NCC who typed the order, or the driver of the bulldozer or anyone else
who was privy to such information and when this posting was done it should have
a viral effect not only in the spread by also in the reaction.  We should have
descended on the sites like white blood cells to the site of an infection in the
body.

For social media in Kenya to have the effect it had in Tunisia or the British
student demonstrations aka riots we need to regularly use the media for
advocative action such as avoiding a particular matatu because the driver is
known to be reckless or the makanga never washes.  When there is an accident on
the highway causing a major jam we should be able to update other drivers so
that they can take action even though it might mean beginning the Mututho hour
closer to the office.

We need to use it regularly so that we internalise the usage, we should not
expect that it will just happen suddenly when a message is posted on a wall and
we experience a revolution.  President Obama did not just wake up on the eve of
the election to make a posting on facebook or twiter no, he used the medium to
mobilise people to town hall meetings in nondescript locations many years before
he even become senator.

Then and only then will the new order manifest itself in Kenya, Mapambano.

Regards
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor