[kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Day Eight--Code of Conduct/Wrapping up)

Lydia Gachungi Lydia.Gachungi at unesco.unon.org
Wed Feb 2 11:23:43 EAT 2011

Dear Grace,

As we wrap up, just a concern, we have not heard many media people
contributing to these discussions. Or could it be the list has just a few
and their views will be captured in a different forum before the bill
moves to the next stage?

Perhaps  it would have been more interactive if we got various views from
the people this bill is meant to address directly.

Lydia

Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com>
Sent by:
kictanet-bounces+lydia.gachungi=unesco.unon.org at lists.kictanet.or.ke
02/02/2011 05:02 AM

Lydia <lydia.gachungi at unesco.unon.org>
cc
kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke
Subject
Re: [kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Day Eight--Code of
Conduct/Wrapping up)

Hey People,

I realize you got diverted by the internet price issue and the prime time
data. And ofcourse Egypt is huge on the agenda.

But may I please beg you to just for today give us comments on the last
part of the Bill namely the Code of Conduct?

We have amended the programme and we will focus our debate on this issue,
and then leave tomorrow free for people to raise concerns that they would
probably like included in the Bill.
And on our final day (Friday), we will provide you with a summary of
issues we have agreed on, and those that need further debate.

And now to today?s debate:

The Code of Conduct and Practice of Journalism covers all aspects for
journalism from accuracy and fairness to hate speech.
It has 25 articles some which may need further debate for example article
2 on Independence where in (f) that a journalist should refuse to allow
the interests of ownership or management to influence news? judgment and
content inappropriately, and article16 on financial journalism.

Now, different media houses have own codes of practice. This then leads us
to our questions today.

1.      Should the MCK Code be made the minimum Code that each Media House
should subscribe to?
2.      And if so, in what way(s) would media houses be made to comply?

And finally, the Bill has no transition clause. Could we have a suggestion
on the text?

Please talk to us.

Have a good day.
Rgds