[kictanet] Prime Time data; is safaricom ready?

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Tue Feb 1 16:14:22 EAT 2011

Even at $400 it is reasonable.  We often travel to provinces to talk to
our field staff.  Usually up to four people at a time to one destination
to cover various topics.  Airfare alone cost Ksh. 40,000 to say Mombasa
alone before getting to Kisumu, Kakamega, Garisa, Nakuru, Embu and Nyeri.
With Telepresence, you save on time by doing it at once and continue to
attend to other matters.  The per diem saved in such a meeting will run
into some two million in travel, accomodation and out of pocket expenses.

Even at institutions it makes a lot of sense.  At UON whenever we had a
class at Bandari College, it meant you suspend your classes at the main
campus.  Then you get paid more for working out of station.  It cost the
University in hard cash more than Ksh. 100,000 everytime a lecturer
travelled out of town to teach for three hours in two days.  The cost of
suspended classes is indeed expensive.

Ndemo.

> That one presenter in Nairobi most likely belongs to a company that can
> afford USD400 an hour, and for which this makes good business sense since
> using this conferencing platform will cut down on travel and related
> costs.
>
> In the next few years, I expect that it would be a lot more affordable and
> effective if the Ministry of Education got a grip on those FPE and other
> funds that inexplicably go safari, generally tidies up its business,
> trains
> teachers, makes enough teachers available throughout the country, reduces
> class size etc - a whole bunch of very common-sense measures.
>
> For primary school pupils in particular, a teacher right in front of them
> who can walk around the class is important. They are still learning to
> learn
> - it's not a matter of sitting them down in front of a feed of
> information.
>
> Andrea
>
> On 1 February 2011 13:59, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:45 PM, robert yawe
>> <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:
>>
>>>  Definitely with a rate of US$ 400 per hour it definitely is prime time
>>> for the partners in that group, maybe Airtel can mucky the waters by
>>> offering a competing product at $1/- per hour.
>>>
>>> Now all we need to do is leverage the technology to sort out the issue
>>> of
>>> over crowding in our primary schools and soon our National schools.
>>>
>>> If one presenter in Nairobi can present to audiences in Amsterdam, New
>>> York, Paris and Istanbul having the same replicated in Karachuonyo,
>>> Moyale
>>> and Chepalungu should be a synch or is it?
>>>

>> Robert,
>>
>> Perhaps you should wait until the govt finalizes on the plans to roll
>> out
>> 4G/LTE platform, then we can start discussing the possibility of the
>> options
>> raised by you? To use your own examples, do you suppose there is 3G in
>> Moyale? Is there WiMax in Chepalungu?
>> Broadband (forget 3G in this case as it only works well when there is no
>> voice traffic) connectivity is still very wanting in KE.
>> You should not be overexcited about this.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
>> Nairobi,KE
>> +254733744121/+254722743223

> Andrea Bohnstedt <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/andreabohnstedt>
> Publisher
> +254 720 960 322
>
> www.ratio-magazine.com
> Find/post East Africa
> careers<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/careers/index.php>
> Find/post conferences, workshops, trainings, other business
> events<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/businessevents/index.php>

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.