[kictanet] Postal Corporation - A Disconnect

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 08:53:12 EAT 2011

It was with shock that I read about yet another strike/go slow by Postal Corp. staff but even more shocking was the list of employees, 4,000, still on the payroll of the organisation.

Postal Corporation has between 400 and 600 outlets, depending on who is providing the statistic, which means that there should be an average of 6 employees per location excluding the 1,000 staff stationed in Nairobi, Mombasa, Eldoret and Kisumu General Post Offices.

Unfortunately when you visit the various post offices around the country and even in Nairobi most of the countered are empty with thick layers of dirt indicating that they have not be used in a long time.  When I visited the Post Office in Nanyuki there where only 4 employees yet this is a major station.

It is clear that the corporation is carrying a large number of ghost workers and it is time Mr, Atuoli directed his energies at rescuing organisations from such none existent workers who will soon enough cause the demise of the organisation and have genuine workers laid off.

With the lack of funds at the corporation to send home the retirees (after the cancelling of the sale of the plot to Airtel), the increase in the retirement age from 55 to 60 and a management that refused to move into the 21st Century the organisation seems doomed.

I still strongly believe that with the right team at the top, from the board to the senior management, PCK has the potential to become the pivotal player in the field of agency banking and for those on this list the missing link in ecommerce.

I keep trotting towards that evasive post of PMG.

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200