[kictanet] Vision 2030: ICT and Other Sectors Converged (Day 2)

Mugo Kibati mugo at vision2030.go.ke
Fri Dec 16 18:53:43 EAT 2011

Dear Solomon,

Thank for your comments and suggestions.

Although adult education is not one of the V2030 Flagship Projects, it is
well covered under the Medium Term Plan (MTP) 2008-12. Indeed the last Kenya
National Adult Literacy Survey, indicates that 61.5% of adult population has
attained minimum literacy level. Specifically, 29.9% of youth aged 15-19
years and 49% of adults aged 45-49 years are illiterate and reflecting high
regional and gender disparities. So it is a major issue of concern. This is
why (although not a flagship project) one of the MTP projects is on Adult
Basic Education and aims to achieve 80% adult literacy by 2012. The
challenge with flagship projects identification is that we do actually have
to prioritize and sometimes omit crucial programmes from the flagship level
(while ensuring they are still being undertaken). If we didn't do that we
would have over a thousand flagship projects and hence spread very scarce
resources and attention very thin! In the case of education and Vision 2030,
we had to focus on primary, secondary school and university education
flagships. However, your suggestions can certainly be included in the
development of the next MTP.

Mugo

 <http://www.vision2030.go.ke/> logo.jpg

Mugo Kibati