[kictanet] Vision 2030: ICT and Other Sectors Converged (Day 2)

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 13:26:53 EAT 2011

I am quite afraid to engage, as like majority of the population and
politicians, I am yet to read up on Vision 2030 and its many pillars
(though civil servants are required to have knowledge of it before
promotion). However , I am keen on a few issues, and not sure how Vision
2030 touches on them

   - Ease of doing business - almost 50 years since independence,
   government and especially local government are biggest hindrances when it
   comes to doing business. Are there plans to make it easy to start a
   business, like even make it free (free licenses) and guarantee site
   security (for small kiosks, like allocated areas) with the aim that the
   business will be taxed later on . Free licensing with penalties for those
   without means we have an idea of number of businesses, which we can tax
   after 1 year and so on. More businesses means more tax and more employment.
   - Agriculture - our agriculture is still primitive, and for all intents
   we may still be using stone age tools. How do we move to mass production
   and economies of scale, mechanize agriculture for small scale holders?
   - Research & manufacturing - we do almost 0 research in this country,
   meaning we import what is often referred to as "superior technology" from
   Europe (Germany) and other countries. Why not have universities especially
   tackle the issue of processing agricultural produce. We also need
   agricultural produce processing industries to serve our hinterland. Kenya
   is a small agricultural nation compared to Tanzania, Uganda, South Sudan
   which have more arable land (we can outdo them if we take irrigation
   seriously)
   - Security - there is virtually no security in this country, seeing that
   a gang can comfortably set up a toll point on the countries most modern
   highway (Thika road) and "tax" every motorist Kshs 1,000 , unperturbed. The
   scenario is repeated across the country where it becomes almost impossible
   to conduct any activity past dusk.