[kictanet] Vision 2030: ICT and Other Sectors Converged (Day 1)

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Tue Dec 13 08:44:41 EAT 2011

Dear Listers - Ladies and gentlemen,

Good morning, and herein lies an opportunity to take part in shaping what
should be a very important vision for

this nation. I personally trust that opinion and important suggestions here
are of huge value, and that it is not late

for the Vision 2030 Team to incorporate some in their blue print, and also
that this blue print has inbuilt flexibility

to make adjustments as much as it is desirable as we move forward to
implement.

Dear Mr. Mugo Kibati,

Welcome on board, and as a vision for this country, we congratulate the team
for being bold. I believe the forum here

will focus heavily on the ICT Sub-sector. But, just as the Vision 2030
correctly correlates interdependence between different

projects on the map, we will not hesitate to point out that ICT needs the
rest as enablers, just as the rest needs it.

My first question is, what are the clear bench marks to achieve the stated
vision for the country, looking at the project

pillars listed?  How do we measure and audit achievements to date to
ascertain whether this ship is on course..?

We have been on the website checking out the Key pillars and the enablers;

I note that, under the Macro Enablers section, the project in which we have
had keen interest falls under the heading

" <http://www.vision2030.go.ke/index.php/projects/details/Macro_enablers/2>
Energy Generation of 2300MW and distributed at competitive prices"

While the endeavor towards generation of enough power, for adequate,
quality, reliable and affordable energy is

laudable and ongoing, we urgently need to address the question of
"distribution" of the same to go lock-in-step

with these valiant efforts.

I believe Energy distribution should be listed as a "Macro-Enabler", then
this way we can now address the question

of the monopolized aspect of it that currently is almost crippling and
reducing the project to naught, at the expense

of progress in other project areas. No doubt ICT sub-sector will be a huge
victim.

Left unchecked, a monopolized energy distribution network on which
everything else hinges as we go forward, could

as well be equated to a "national security disaster-in-awaiting". Can the
team review the objectives in this area to focus

heavily on this aspect also, and propose, pursue and lobby unrelentingly
towards a de-monopolized energy distribution

design. Let this nation have the benefit of redundancy in this area. Short
of this, we are left at the mercy of the current

national distributor. At the very best, it might remain a cog in the wheel
of this Vision2030.

I would wish to draw the team Vision2030 to the tremendous success that
we've all witnessed in the Telecommunication

subsector, since liberalization was introduced from around 2002/3 and
competitiveness brought about the huge

dividends that we now reap. We herald this as one of the greatest turning
points in this industry. Let's go that route in

the energy subsector.

Harry