[kictanet] A chip off the old block!

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 13:02:02 EAT 2011

I would like to be clear that I have no malice or ill intentions towards Safaricom, just that they set very high standards initially and therefore changed the expectations of their clients.

All that I am is a creation of Safaricom and when my existence is threatened I have no option other than to scream, yell and kick.  With the move of my last remaining domains to Safaricom I have all my eggs in one basket which makes me very edgy when someone threatens to drop the basket.

A month ago I gave up on Telkom/Orange/Jambo in as far as their domain and mail hosting services are concerned and decided to move over to Safaricom.

The migration was a nightmare, in this case the source of the problem was Safaricom and not the other fellows as would usually be the case.  I finally had the migration done after 2 or so weeks and escalating e-mails short of my namesake.

A month ago I got a notification for renewal of my domain from KENIC and I proceeded to request Safaricom to send me the procedure, I finally received that today after my domain has been suspended for 1 an entire week.  The interesting part being that the person who responded was actually referring to an email I sent 2 months ago concerning the transfer of the domain.

The most interesting issue that has go me raving is the following message (classic Telkom/Orange)'

______________
Dear
Robert,

Please
make Transfer payment equivalent to the domain renewal  fee in addition to the
renewal fee

Kindly
send us a scanned copy of the receipt for this to be
effected.

Payment
is made at A Safaricom Retail outlet against the respective item codes
below,

There are various
types of domains as below with different costs as indicated.
_______________

Please see highlighted text, for a company that has been feted as a leading implementer of technology this message speaks volumes.

Such instructions are standard with Telkom/Orange and also KPLC (pay then report upstairs to notify reconnection department) but I did not think I would actually see day that Safaricom would get to that level and only hope into will not permeate to the voice service

This is a sign of disintegration at a time when integration is called for, Safaricom has a major task ahead as it tries to breakdown the silos that are developing before they become fully entrenched and become a culture.  Many times we blame individuals for situations when the main problem is with the systems in force.

Is this a case of one step forward, two steps back?

"You are better having me on the inside pissing out than on the outside pissing inwards" - Anonymous

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200