[kictanet] Why It's Wrong For Kenya To Try Pac ifying Angry Bashir-reality check

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Wed Dec 7 16:35:21 EAT 2011

What Walu said. I think this sums it up very nicely if we want to keep the
list an ICT list.

On 7 December 2011 12:29, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dr. Ndemo, All
>
> I agree it is a very thin line that we have to strive to balance on. ICT
> is and should be cross cutting into socio-economic and political spheres.
> But the way I see it is for the list is as follows:
>
> 1. Pure Politcs:
> "Why its wrong for Kenya to Pacify Bashir": then followed by discussions
> for and against the move to pacify Bashir. Many vibrant lists exist for
> this type of conversations e.g http://www.mashada.com/
>
> 2. ICTs and Politics
> "How Media is (mis?)leading the Masses in the Bashir Case": then followed
> by discussions on how this could be propagated or curtailed using new
> media?(FB, Twitter, etc). Obviously this is the "boring" option but it is
> what KICTAnet is/was about ref:    http://www.kictanet.or.ke/
>
> I could be wrong but option 2 is they way I have always viewed this list.
> Another example.
>
> 1. Pure Ranting.
> "No Fuel, No Electricity, No Water".  Again, many lists exists elsewhere
> to ventilate on this. Indeed I have quite ventilated on this on my twitter
> handle @jwalu. But have a look at point 2 below
>
> 2. ICTS and Fuel, Electricity, Water, -What ICT tools exists to prevent
> persistent shortages in Fuel, Power, Water etc? Obviously this again is
> probably the "boring" option but closer to the KICTAnet mission
> http://www.kictanet.or.ke/
>
> But that was the thinking 8yrs ago, maybe what Listers are saying is that
> they want this to change and hey, I cannot stop that since it is about
> democracy and what the majority want.  But I can remind you that this list
> is both local and international and unless contributors seek to bring out
> the ICT connection, quite a bit of Listers are likely to seek a way out.
>
> walu.

Andrea Bohnstedt <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/andreabohnstedt>
Publisher
+254 720 960 322

www.ratio-magazine.com
Find/post East Africa careers<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/careers/index.php>
Find/post conferences, workshops, trainings, other business
events<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/businessevents/index.php>