[kictanet] Internet "Kadonye" charges

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 6 13:54:48 EAT 2011

Hi,

I am one of the those very fortunate people who rarely buy Internet access by the bandwidth or minute as I enjoy a flat rate unlimited access whether at home or in the office.

Today morning I needed to use one of the dongle devices as I needed to work off-site at one of my few clients who do not have dedicated internet access.

I loaded airtime on the device and proceeded to purchase a bundle, within 3 minutes of launching my browser (all 12 tabs) I noticed that I had already utilised 1.2 MB @ a rate of Kes. 0.83/- per MB.  Note that I was yet to do any useful work as I waited for my desktop to settle.  As you might have guessed, by the time I was ready to do some serious income generating work the bundle was over.

It is now clear to me why so many of our youth who should be making productive use of the Internet are stuck to using only facebook because the costs for access are either subsidised or free which reduces an entire generation to a single web site.

The kadonye economy definitely transcends to technology products at which rate the technology divide is not narrowing any time soon.

I assume that the cost of bandwidth is mainly related to the international leg therefore is it possible to have a bundle that allows you unlimited access to local sites.

Such a model would encourage the development and hosting of content locally.  KENET could set-up peering with educational sites across the world whose access would be treated as local and our students would be able to benefit from the Internet.

Please accommodate this rant from an occasional dongle user.

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor