[kictanet] Bitange for President? Debate almost coming to anend!

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 15:41:09 EAT 2011

Bw PS Dr.Ndemo,

I never knew you were formerly a jailbird ;-)

Meanwhile, I have been browsing through the CCKs, ICT Gap Study. It is quite informative and enlightening (even though I wonder why we had to get some Latin American Company to do it when Prof. Waema, Walu et. al. could have done the same ;-).

But either way, the facts revealed are obvious yet quite shocking: Sample this,

*Only 20% of Nairobians have used the internet over the last 1mth. And this is the highest score since Mombasa was next @ 10% while the rest of Kenya is well below 3%.
* 50% of Kenyan Territory has no Voice communication - leave alone Data Communication.
* Most Internet Access is through mobile phones (I always wonder how much "work" can one  with internet over mobile phones, but maybe life is not just about "work")
* Of the 4.7 Mobile internet subscribers only 20% can/are enjoying  Broadband internet(over 256K)

Hey folks, this makes me feel that we must get out of our comfort zones and address the problems of why on average only 3 people out of 100 in Kenya are using the internet.  I know candidate Ndemo has hinted at some solutions but this question keeps bothering me. The consultants seems to stress  the Supply side solutions but am beginning to think about Demand too. Otherwise why would 80% of Nairobians who have an oversupply/excess internet  from the Safcoms, Aitels and Orange(s?) not bother to visit the Internet?

1st suspect: eGovt:- put more stuff online and lets drive up the demand.
2nd suspect: Universities/Schools:- I think we need to move beyond chalk and talk.
3rd suspect: any suggestions?

walu.