[kictanet] East African Organization Receives International Library Award

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Fri Aug 19 22:52:59 EAT 2011

Congratulations James and your team at ALIN for this well deserved award
----------------------------------

*East African Organization Receives International Library Award For
Creating Knowledge Centers in Rural Areas*

/$1 million Access to Learning Award recognizes Arid Lands Information
Network for providing access to information and technology in
hard-to-reach communities/

SEATTLE – The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation today presented its 2011
Access to Learning Award of $1 million to the Arid Lands Information
Network (ALIN), which provides knowledge and information through a
variety of innovative channels in remote communities throughout Kenya,
Uganda, and Tanzania. Members of these communities use the technology
and other tools at ALIN’s Knowledge Centers to gain information to
improve their health, increase their incomes, and better their lives.
Microsoft, a partner of the foundation in its efforts to help public
libraries connect people  with relevant technology and skills, will
provide ALIN with a donation of over US$270,000 worth of software and
technology training curriculum to help the organization serve the local
community.

ALIN’s 12 Knowledge Centers—known as Maarifa Centers—focus on providing
practical information, particularly in the area of agricultural
development. The vast majority of people in these regions are
small-scale farmers who need information about issues such as drought,
pests, and finding markets for their crops. The centers offer
information geared toward the communities’ specific needs.

“We understand that each community we serve is different, and each
individual we serve is different,” said James Nguo, director of ALIN.
“Some communities need information about water harvesting, while others
are dealing with a particular kind of pest. We’ve also found that while
some people have taken to the computers and technology, others prefer
live demonstrations or lectures in their native language.”

In addition to providing agricultural information to farmers, Maarifa
Centers address health issues such as HIV/AIDS and malaria, ways to
improve people’s daily lives such as how to create an energy efficient
biogas stove, and administrative requirements such as applying for an
official identity card or getting tax exempt status. Some people have
used the centers to create groups for the disabled, earn advanced
degrees online, or create thriving small businesses.

“Thousands of people in these remote communities of Eastern Africa are
improving their lives through the information available at these
centers,” said Deborah Jacobs, director of the Global Libraries
initiative for the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, at an award ceremony
in San Juan, Puerto Rico. “All knowledge workers can learn from this
inventive model of delivering targeted, customized information.”

All Maarifa Centers offer free access to computers and the Internet and
provide free training in how to use them. Because there is only one paid
staff member at each center, ALIN relies on volunteer facilitators to
help provide core services. These volunteers receive training in a
variety of key areas, including computer skills, good farming practices,
treatment of medical conditions, and communications skills, which they
use to educate others in their communities.

For example, ALIN and the staff of the Kyuso Maarifa Center formed a
group of seven farmers to participate in a pilot project that sent them
to other parts of the country where they could learn techniques to deal
with their extremely dry, arid climate. When the farmers returned to
Kyuso, they implemented those techniques and were able to significantly
improve their yields. The farmers worked with the staff of the Maarifa
Center to pass these innovations on to others, through demonstrations,
field days, videos, podcasts, and articles in ALIN’s Baobab magazine.
One community pastor even preached about the new techniques in church.

“From Baobab and from the information here in our Maarifa Center, I got
to know about water harvesting. I came to know more about good
agricultural practices from other areas,” said Ali Hassan Mulei, one of
the seven farmers who participated in the pilot project. “During the dry
seasons you get nothing from the farm. But I prepare the land during the
dry season. I get some cash from my business, go to the farm, make
terraces, make structures for water harvesting, and I wait for the rainy
season to come.”

The foundation's annual Access to Learning Award recognizes the
innovative efforts of libraries and similar organizations outside the
United States in providing free access to computers and the Internet. It
is awarded by the foundation’s Global Libraries initiative, which works
to open the world of knowledge, information, and opportunity to help
improve the lives of millions of people.

ALIN will use its award to expand its network of Knowledge Centers,
upgrade its hardware and software, increase the number of computers
available to its users, and expand on the training and education
provided to its community knowledge facilitators. ALIN also hopes to
create an innovation center to advance ideas in information and
communication technology.

###

*Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation*
Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda
Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive
lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people’s health
and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme
poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all
people—especially those with the fewest resources—have access to the
opportunities they need to succeed in school and life. Based in Seattle,
Washington, the foundation is led by CEO Jeff Raikes and Co-chair
William H. Gates Sr., under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and
Warren Buffett. Learn more at www.gatesfoundation.org
<http://gatesfoundation.pr-optout.com/Url.aspx?521304x191481x599596> or
join the conversation at Facebook
<http://gatesfoundation.pr-optout.com/Url.aspx?521304x191480x79744> and
Twitter
<http://gatesfoundation.pr-optout.com/Url.aspx?521304x191479x272675>.

For high resolution images and broadcast quality footage, please visit
www.gatesfoundation.org/press-room/Pages/news-market.aspx
<http://gatesfoundation.pr-optout.com/Url.aspx?521304x191478x465604>.

*Contact:*
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Phone: +1.206.709.3400
E-mail: media at gatesfoundation.org <mailto:media at gatesfoundation.org>

If you would rather not receive future communications from Bill &
Melinda Gates Foundation, let us know by clicking here.
<http://gatesfoundation.pr-optout.com/OptOut.aspx?521304x19839x63493x1x3971885x24000x6&Email=alice%40apc.org>
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, PO Box 23350, Seattle, WA 98102 United
States