[kictanet] Counties & Technology

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Fri Aug 19 15:53:42 EAT 2011

Robert,
The author did not do a good job since the issues did not come out clear.
We have already covered 37 counties with the existing NOFBI network.  Our
priority now is a robust last mile solution on an open access platform.
This is not compromising existing providers but opening up the market. If
funds are available, we may take fibre to the remaining 10 counties.

The open access concept is proving to be extremely critical in addressing
the pricing of Broadband.  It has created efficiencies in Government by
sharing the infrastructure and optimizing resource utilization.
Previously we had several networks, that is, Immigration, Education,
Finance, Police, Prisons etc.  Most Minisries want to access their field
offices and the infrastructure is key.

I hope this helps in clarifying what the author wanted to communicate.

Regards

Ndemo.

> Hi,
>
> With reference to an article carried in the Business Daily of 19th Aug,
> 2011 on
> the 5.6B government funded fibre to 37 counties is there a strategy for
> making
> sure that the counties implement technology solutions from the onset?
>
> The article seems to also imply that this action by the government will
> result
> in direct competition for the other providers yet on this forum we where
> told
> that the government together with the internet providers where already in
> discussion about how they would share NOFBI.  Is this new initiative part
> of
> NOFBI and therefore will be subject to the continuing discussions or is it
> separate?
>
> I also noted during the UON exhibition and conference on architecture and
> urbanisation that the ministry of public works are working on a prototype
> county
> headquarters design including the county assembly meeting areas.
>
> How can we as the ICT fraternity make ourselves relevant in making sure
> that the
> technology component is incorporated so as to increase the effectiveness
> of the
> county governments?  I see great opportunities in developing applications
> for
> electronic voting, attendance records, electronic discussion records and
> streaming sites of live debate.
>
> We have an opportunity to develop applications that can be tested in the
> 47
> counties in readiness for roll out to the region as they all rush to
> replicate
> the Kenyan model.
>
> Regards
>  Robert Yawe
> KAY System Technologies Ltd
> Phoenix House, 6th Floor
> P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
> Kenya
>

> Tel: +254722511225, +254202010696

> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
> development.

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.