[kictanet] Counties & Technology

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 19 09:05:18 EAT 2011

Hi,

With reference to an article carried in the Business Daily of 19th Aug, 2011 on
the 5.6B government funded fibre to 37 counties is there a strategy for making
sure that the counties implement technology solutions from the onset?

The article seems to also imply that this action by the government will result
in direct competition for the other providers yet on this forum we where told
that the government together with the internet providers where already in
discussion about how they would share NOFBI.  Is this new initiative part of
NOFBI and therefore will be subject to the continuing discussions or is it
separate?

I also noted during the UON exhibition and conference on architecture and
urbanisation that the ministry of public works are working on a prototype county
headquarters design including the county assembly meeting areas.

How can we as the ICT fraternity make ourselves relevant in making sure that the
technology component is incorporated so as to increase the effectiveness of the
county governments?  I see great opportunities in developing applications for
electronic voting, attendance records, electronic discussion records and
streaming sites of live debate.

We have an opportunity to develop applications that can be tested in the 47
counties in readiness for roll out to the region as they all rush to replicate
the Kenyan model.

Regards
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd