[kictanet] National ICT Innovation and Integration Centre

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 11:04:46 EAT 2011

Hi,

I had the privilege of attending the official opening of the National ICT
Innovation and Integration Centre by Hon. Ongeri at the Kenya  Science Campus.

The investment is major and they seem to be forecast on their objective of
integrating ICT into the primary and secondary school curriculum and
administration.

During the launch the Education Secretary in his speech indicated that the
ministry was to set-up computer labs in 1021 schools, 5 in each constituency an
issue the Minister picked during his off the cuff speech when he requested a
clarification from the the Education Secretary as to the best of his knowledge
the schools to be reached were supposed to be  1050.

This raised an interesting issue, the reason was that there are actually
constituencies in this country that have less than 5 secondary schools which
might increase after the additional constituencies recommended.  It was
interesting how the minister was able to give a quick resolution by directing
that the allocated computers must remain in the constituency and not reallocated
elsewhere, a clear sign that there are effective leaders in this country.

It was interesting to realise that there is a clear  distinction between the
various facets of education namely learning, teaching and management.  The fact
that the ministry and other stake holders have this clearly defined means that
we are likely to see a more holistic implementation of technology.

The initiative has also rolled out a portal called www.elimuportal.net, which
was down as of this writing but is fortunately hosted locally, we hope they will
also see it necessary to give it a .ke domain.  From the presentation this
portal will become the hub for teacher and student resources so we hope that the
KICTB and the e-government have allocated them space in the forthcoming national
data centre.

It is interesting how much information you can gather at a government function,
I now know and share some of the insights.

1.  There are 265,000 teachers country wide but we still have a shortfall of
70,000 teachers.  With the new directive that all teachers must have degrees it
means that if we force all graduates to become teachers it will take us over 3
to 5 years to meet the 70,000 shortfall.  If we have a demand growth of 5% per
annum, cumulative, then it will take us forever to bridge the shortfall.

The minister realises this and made a request that we look for innovative ways
to deal with this shortfall which is where we come into the picture. Solutions
such as radio and tv lessons (digital transmission) and the paradigm shift by
initiatives like khanacademy mean that we have the tools and all we need is the
will.

2.  There are 8.6 million students in primary schools up from 5.9 million in
2005 with a transition rate of 72.5% up from 45% in 2005.  The recommended
transition rate from primary to secondary proscribed under MDG goals is 70%,
this is a clear indication that we are making progress.

I am sure many of you have this statistics at your finger tips as a result of
the Open Data initiative but I still felt obligated to share what I learnt from
spending my morning at the launch.

Regards
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd