[kictanet] Bitange for President? Extended due to Public Demand-internet price?

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 13 12:56:58 EAT 2011

Bw PS,

nice insights you have below.  Mine is simply to ask what your thoughts are, in terms of making consumer internet prices affordable. Yes, cost of bandwidth at international gateway level used to be 5,000USD per MB (over satellite) but now it has dropped below  500USD per MB.  Basically it has dropped by 10 times - HOWEVER- in our cyber cafes, the cost of accessing internet is still 1/- to 2/- per minute, pretty much what it was during the satellite days.

Mobile data internet which is the more common form of access is not any cheaper either.  There's has been NO  drop per-se, just marketing gimmicks of increasing the amount of bandwidth for the same (HIGH) price. It is like saying lunch costs 2,500/= at some 5star hotel, but since there has been good rains/harvest, for the same 2,500/= you are free to eat ALL you want...sounds good, but ONLY for those who could afford the 2,500/= lunch bracket in the first place - who unfortunately are not many....particularly in an economy whose average monthly income is around 8,000sh.

So how do you intend to tackle the internet price problem when you get to be President?

walu.