[kictanet] Commodity Exchange Platform

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 10:02:48 EAT 2011

Dear Listers,

I've had a read of many articles just on this subject as I go dig in deeper
into the agri-engineering aspects and have these questions. If anyone could
provide more information, It may just set the process rolling in the long
term and is very much appreciated.

1) Why has such an exchange not been implemented so far? Has this got
anything to do with liberalization of the Agri-Marketing sector?

2) In ICT, it is possible to create many systems to perform core functions
and provide services as platforms. How does the process really work at
ground level?

3) The concept of the exchange is based on seller/buyer and possibly
futures. Does it then mean there will be a need for trading floors, phone
based working in parallel with ICT?

4) What would limit farmers from using the commodity exchange?

5) Are there still regulations that prevent the growth of a commodity
exchange?

6) What is ailing the agriculture sector? Is it bad infrastructure, bad
politics, lack of markets, brokers, expensive or un-informed farm inputs or
are there other factors too?

7) Is there a will or drive for farmers/societies to use ICT to improve on
trading and awareness? This would mean moving away from the 160 character
sms because it is too limiting.

Thank you for your time.

Rgds.