[kictanet] IT posts for full circle

Charles Maye cmaye at ke.nationmedia.com
Mon Aug 8 14:17:08 EAT 2011

Actually, IT on its own cannot create profits.
Airtel Kenya has a network that is as good as any. But they are losing cash. Same goes for Telkom Kenya. Africa Online was a great idea born by IT experts. It was ahead of its time and never made money. When a technology is new to the world, it can generate profits. The moment it is duplicated and commoditized and for the rest of its life, it needs another set of skills. That set of skills is what makes organizations select people other than IT experts as CIO's.

Closer home, part of the many reasons the good doctor is so successful at driving our ICT agenda as a country is because he understands how to make technology connect with our aspirations as a people. I stand to be corrected but I believe the good doctor is not an engineer.

Charles Maye