[kictanet] Bitange for President? Driving Knowledge Economy?OnlineInterview with PS Ndemo

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 09:13:11 EAT 2011

Dr Ndemo,

I have a final question on regarding the creation of the High Tech Sector in
preparation for Malili. While cheaper rent or infrastructure facilities
maybe an additional advantage, I think we are still to find a way to push
private sector and govt incentives/policies on creating the High Tech
Sector. I believe we are no where at the moment, neither the mobile or web
development sectors even come close to becoming the next billion shilling
industry sectors. These two sectors are in a transition mode where the
demand is for more localised settings.

What will the govt do to ensure that kenyan companies start looking at
holding patents and developing the needs of external markets based on
technology trends. I think the last thing we would want to see is a scenario
where kenyans in ICT become more of daily wage labourers on contract basis.
While this may seem an ideal employment creation scenario, the results will
be negative in the long term.

What steps and incentives will create the High Tech Sector companies and
will opening up the development of critical govt sectors offer an incentive
to create broad based technologies?

Thank you.

Rgds.