[kictanet] Bitange for President? Driving Knowledge Economy? OnlineInterview with PS Ndemo

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Thu Aug 4 10:43:59 EAT 2011

Aki,
You now can understand why we need to stop business and general degree
programmes.  This is why we are more of traders than industrialists. I
went to US for studies in the 1980's.  In 1987 I was President of
International Students at the University of Minnesota.  We were 5,000
foreign students in a student population of 120,000. The majority of
students were from Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore and Korea.  Of the Asian
students, 98% were in engineering courses the remaider were in creative
art degree program.

These countries became what we call Newly Industrialized Countries (NICs).
In economic comparative terms, they were behind Kenya.  Today we buy
everything from them.  They manufactured nothing then.  Infact we used to
love at the Hyundai Ponny that was first manufactured by Koreans.

We now must remove all fees for any student enrolled in science and
creative degree programs.  The rest can pay.  When we started producing
more computer graduates, we started seeing application development in
Kenya to the extent that the world has started to recognize.  Similarly,
if we indeed want to industrialize, we must move to science.  There are no
options.

India has just realized this and they are taking jobs from overheating
China.  Our comparative advatange in this region is the human resource.
Let us develop it, support it and guide it to the right direction.
Regional influence is what will matter in the days to come. As such we
must endeavor to see that Vision 2030 is realized in 2020.  This is
possible.

Regards

Ndemo.