[kictanet] UCC attempts to block social networks

Stephen Mutoro stephen at cofek.co.ke
Wed Apr 27 06:09:38 EAT 2011

Thanks Andrea. You are so apt. Perhaps Dr. Ndemo needs to find time to have a lesson or two from your argument. There is a clear difference between the reaction of "real consumers" as Eng. Wainaina and other minority middle to higher class Kenyans will argue - after affording 3 seven-course meals daily - and millions of low income earners who survive on a poor single meal a day would respond! When we argue from the comfort of our Nairobi offices, we need to take a moment and ask for instance why our domestic workers should pay for a loaf of bread as we do when we pay them Sh5K and we we have an average income of Sh5M. Lets us not be insensitive! You cant talk of ICT innovation on an empty stomach! Yes, times are hard for governments people dont have to get to the streets - but on inefficiencies, wastages and corruption that drive costs of living - is there any (innovation) of a lamguage that govt understands better? Would Mubarak and Gbagbo have left power through "innovations"? Anyway, there must be a balance between consumer demands and governments mitigation. Govts need to invest in serious commitments and communicate. They should not spring surprises on poor masses as they live large and expect poor people not to protest - in whatever best way that catches their action!

Good morning!
Sent from my BlackBerry®