[kictanet] [ke-internetusers] Re: CCK boss sent on leave as row rages

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 21:14:48 EAT 2011

my comments...

1.  It's unfortunate this incident (conflict at ministerial, board and management @ CCK) is happening when Kenya is set to host the Global IGF event (with the Regulator really as the leading convenor).  If we can clean our house before this impacts negatively on the IGF the better for everyone.

2.  The roles of the Minister, the Board and Mngt are clearly spelt out in the Communication Act 1998, 2009.  Yes, the Minister appoints and can renew the mandate of the Director General.  But this is "expected" to be from the Advice of the Board, whose Chairman is appointed by the President.  So in terms of Governance structures there is some sense of cross-checking of each others powers.

3.  Though not explicit in the two communication Acts of 1998 and 2009,  the current practice in most Kenyan State corporations assume that the Board will shortlist 3candidates and ask the Minister to chose one qualifying candidate for appointment. Indeed this is how the current and the previous DGs of CCK have been hired (maybe guided by another law e.g. State Corporation Act? Some legal mind could confirm).

4. Can the Minister appoint a DG without the Boards input - legally, due to the non-explicit statement in the act on the same, it looks like yes he can.  But then it begs the question, why then has the Board been interviewing candidates for the Job? Why then have performance evaluations.

5. Finally,  but  without the benefit of the board proceedings, I would imagine the ruling by the Board not to renew the DGs contract as being quite exceptional rather than the norm. We all know many "under performing" public officers still enjoying their offices...from purely an observers view, am not quite convinced the DGs performance really warrants the sack. And neither am I convinced that the Minister's intervention does solve the problem and we shall therefore all live happily there after.

walu.