[kictanet] Statistics on Kenya Road Accidents

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 09:53:29 EAT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 08:37, Francis Hook <francis.hook at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the ICT Board were to delve into this, then there's no saying what
> statistics they should NOT publish - cost of agri inputs, rainfall, tourist
> arrivals, migration patterns of birds? hmm?   I think its enough that the
> board has part of its mandate to computerise different
> ministries/departments/etc and then at their level such issues can be taken
> up (min of tourism, KTB, Kenya Police, min of agric. etc etc).

I doubt the ICT Board has the capacity to achieve it's mandate to
computerize different ministries/departments/etc. Did you say that falls
within their mandate? If it does, I am interested in knowing how they have
planned to go about it. What is the Life Cycle plan for the realization of
that mandate? I hope it's not just like buying computers and dumping them
into every office in the ministry/dept/etc - for that, too, is
computerization:)

> That aside, perhaps AKI might be a good resource for such statistics since
> MVs invariably have to be the cause of or be involved in an accident
> (pedestrian, cyclist, motorist...building, etc)...

AKI, at the moment, deals with accidents and "accidents" and IMHO, have very
sketchy statistics. Do you know if they have a central DB to which they can
give the public "read only" access?

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,