[kictanet] KIXP connectivity

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 21:14:45 EAT 2010

Hi,

It is good to see that someone out there is not scared of giving a detailed
response to my posts for a minute I had started taking Walu sentiments to heart.

I use the yahoo account because i can get to my mail reliably irrespective of
the ISP as my main mail service is hosted by Orange/Jambo.

It works fine in the office because I have an Orange/Telkom connection but when
out of the office the connection from other ISP links to the Orange servers is
painfully slow, there I have listed a site.

McTim, we are looking to set up an enabling environment for those developers out
here who need reliable connectivity for their web sites, please do not mistake
my concern as a selfish agenda.  If we keep dealing with individual issues we
shall make snail progress, I ranted about local peering over 10 years ago when I
used to right in a PC World but instead of the ISPs listening they opted to coin
me the village madman.

So can we please look at this situation more holistically and create an
environment that is conducive to enabling the up coming developers to cost
effectively put up web based solutions.  I visited another brilliant site
www.naibase.com that is aiming to be the Kenyan Youtube equivalent but
unfortunately they are hosted overseas, this is the result of lip service but
those responsible for creating an enabling environment.

Why should someone providing information solely for the consumption of a local
audience need to pay hosting rates pegged on the international circuit.  I
previous mentioned the good old days  (13 years ago) of Karisi Communications
when local email was free but foreign email was charged extra and how it created
a vibrant local online community.

Can Tespok implement a minimum STM1 connectivity for each member of the KIXP
especially since what we have in the ground is dark fibre, then provide a tariff
for those who have no need for their servers to be accessed overseas.  We see it
with the telephone calling rates where on network charges are lower than cross
network.

Regards

Sent from home on the Safaricom Wimax link, its better than nothing.

 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200