[kictanet] ISPs slap Ndemo-but who is to blame?

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 14:39:28 EAT 2010

@ Edwin,

By saying ISPs/Telcos to "Open Up their Supply Chain" do you mean "Force down the Retail Cost in order to stimulate demand?" - Hoping to recoup cost through larger volume sales?

Again, the ASSUMPTION here is that lower costs will automatically stimulate demand. Perhaps there's no demand because there's no local internet content and as such dropping cost may not really increas demand.

Put differently, 90% of the Kenyans who are currently NOT using the internet, dont, simply because there's NOTHING in it for them (why would my Dad get online? or that farmer in Kirinyaga? to do facebook, yahoo, youtube?(.. the current hot content "locally" here)).

In other words even giving them FREE internet will not get them online...but it might get the Operators broke, forcing some of them to close shop and eventually deny the few 10% of the current Kenyan Internet Users access to the 'Net...far fetched but possible.

walu.