[kictanet] [Skunkworks] IBM President in the Country

Francis.Hook at gmail.com Francis.Hook at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 16:39:14 EAT 2010

Very true Brian. This is one of the biggest deals we are going to see in a
very long time (some analysts are estimating it to be around US$ 1.5
billion - Kshs 120 billion).

Bharti can leverage on this (and other outsourcing of the network towers,
BTS, etc) to reduce its operating expenditure (and thus sustain the low
tariffs they have introduced). They can bring about very high levels
efficiency across its 16 networks by using a single supplier whose
expertise spans infrastructure, software and services. Indeed the relations
with Bhart go back to Bharti's operations in India where IBM are their
partners.

Interestingly out of all the vendors, IBM have been able to anticipate the
evolution among telcos and the services they can provide (managed services,
data centre hosting, DR, etc) and positioning themselves suitably to help
telcos move ahead, and while focusing on their core activity also innovate,
heighten their responsiveness to market needs, etc.