[kictanet] The Safaricom money machine

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Wed Sep 15 12:07:08 EAT 2010

Both non-issues, I think:

For whatever evils you want to blame on Safaricom (global warming? end of
civilisation as we know it? feminism?), you can't really blame them for your
own inability to enter the phone number of the intended recipient correctly.
And I say this as someone who has broken up larger M-PESA payments in two
amounts because I was too freaked out that I'd accidentally send the money
to the wrong person.

And deactivated lines: If you want to deactivate your Safcom line, take the
money out of your MPESA. Easy. It won't get disconnected by CCK for failure
to register it because the registration process for M-PESA doubles up as
your SIM card registration. If CCK disconnects your line because you've been
found to demand ransom M-PESA payments for abducting kids, you have other
problems.

On 15 September 2010 10:41, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have noted that when you send money from mpesa to the wrong number and
> you request for the transaction to be reversed you do not recover the
> transaction costs.
>
> When a line with credit is deactivated what happens to the credit?  With
> the banks a new policy requires that funds from inactive accounts need to be
> remitted to Central Bank.
>

> Robert Yawe
> KAY System Technologies Ltd
> Phoenix House, 6th Floor