[kictanet] The big Kwaheri: reflecting on 10 years on the MJ 10 yrsafari and his-tory - day 1

Michael Joseph MJoseph at Safaricom.co.ke
Tue Oct 19 14:32:20 EAT 2010

Thank you for all your kind wishes, appreciations and words of advice. I
will attempt to respond as much as possible.

Muriuki asked me to response to specific questions which are listed
below and I will add other responses to comments expressed from other
Listers.

-          What is behind the success; is it luck, ability to manipulate
the environment around you?

There are many factors behind the success of Safaricom, but I would sum
it up as follows:

We determined that our core market was going to be the man and woman in
the street (matatu passengers if you will) and came up with prices,
products and services that were accepted and used by this core market.
We also make some wise (in hindsight) decisions like per-second billing,
24 hour 7-days a week free customer care, inexpensive handsets, pre-paid
tariffs etc. We stressed our Kenyan roots both in our branding and our
CSR programmes from the very beginning. It was a combination of
knowledge and experience from the past (mostly what did not work), some
knowledge of the local market, gut feel and luck.

-          What drives you and can this  be ported to other managers to
drive their enterprises to success like Safaricom

I am very ambitious, competitive and firmly believe in doing the very
best you can. I believe that we are all given great opportunities in
life and it's up to us to take these opportunities and use them for the
benefit of our fellow man. I believe in integrity, care for ones fellow
man and hard work and these credos can be used by anyone. Very few of us
are born with a silver spoon in their mouths and therefore to be
successful takes some effort. It came to me late in life but
nevertheless it came.

-          Is this specific to ICT sector or are these skills generic
and can apply to other sectors?

As above

-          How do you manage time to handle all demands on your time

I handle stress quite well but I work quite long hours - I start at 6am
and finish around 8pm and then usually I am required to attend some
function. I use the hours of 6am to 8am to deal with all my emails and
reading of documents and the rest of the day is for meetings both formal
and informal.  Weekends, wherever possible, belong to me and my family

-          Going forward , how will you  use your time

At this point, I have no idea. As the time gets closer I am getting a
little more concerned. I will remain on the Board of Safaricom for
another 2 years, will maintain an office at Safaricom and will also act
an advisor to Bob Collymore the new CEO, and the CEO of the Vodacom
Group.

-          And finally a chance to introduce  the incoming  CEO  to the
listers

Bob is copied above and I have urged him to join this list.

Other comments:

1.	I do respond to all emails addressed to me. I am particularly
concerned when complaints are made about our service and we do not
respond. I find this unacceptable but it is sometimes like pushing a
large boulder uphill to get people to change although we are making
progress. I want our subscribers to be satisfied with our service and I
take it very personally when they are not due to our own inability to
get things right
2.	I learnt early on to lead from the front. You need to be seen to
be the leader and to act like one. The title of CEO or whatever does not
make you a leader. When things are both bad and good you need to be seen
and to take responsibility. I always admire people that when they get
promoted, suddenly have the wisdom they never had the day before
(perhaps it came through the walls like osmosis). Take our Ministers as
a perfect example.
3.	I agree with Sam - I need to achieve (it's a fixation) and I am
the second born!
4.	To the PS (to whom I am eternally grateful), I still think some
of your ideas are wacky but are probably right! I apologize about the
lawyer - no more can be said here!
5.	To be clear: M-Pesa was developed by Vodafone using a co-grant
from DFID. It was originally developed for the micro-finance industry
for the disbursement and repayment of small loans. We were asked to
trial it in 2006 which we did and then Safaricom and Vodafone suggested
and made the changes that created M-Pesa. M-Kesho was my idea as
expansion of M-Pesa. Sambaza and Okoa Jahazi were ideas borrowed from
other Vodafone companies - Egypt mostly.

The future:

I have been urged to write a book, go in public service and or just fade
into the background. I really have not decided yet. A book sounds
interesting but somewhat arrogant from my side, but maybe it will be
necessary. I would love to do more for Kenya but NOT as a politician.
Lecturing would be great but I have yet to be asked. I will take some
time to think about it and then decide. Life will for sure present me
with my next opportunity and challenge.

Thank you for allowing me to respond and once again thank you for the
many positive comments.

Regards,

Michael

CEO