[kictanet] ICANN head warns against putting Internet addresses under UN control

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 17:39:21 EAT 2010

Alice,

Obviously, they (ICANN) were looking at the plenipotentiary meeting
(still ongoing now) when they wrote this speech for the NBO meeting.

Two related posts by Kieren McCarthy at GIBC can be seen as a follow
up to your "Plutocrats and the Internet" post a few days ago.

http://gibc.biz/2010/10/itu-election-results/

longish, but a good read in its IG dimension.

http://gibc.biz/2010/10/us-government-misplaced-concerns/

"What’s on the table?

A common proposals document put forward by the Arab States, for
example, contains one proposal – by the representative of Syria – that
argues “the current domain name system does not fully reflect the
diverse and growing language needs of all users because the
supervisory entity, ICANN, an American corporation, is subject under
its agreement with the United States government, represented by the
National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), to
the laws and jurisdiction of the United States of America”.

It calls for the government body within ICANN (the Governmental
Advisory Committee, or GAC) to be given oversight powers of ICANN,
“such that the latter becomes subject to GAC decisions”. And it
suggests that GAC is reformed along the same lines as the ITU
Council."

I just don't see how the ITU is going to get their way in any of this.

I for one would love to see the ITU help their members deploy IPv6 on
their networks (for example) instead of trying to grab a chunk of IPv6
for themselves to pass out to their members as a nice little revenue
generator.

--
Cheers,

McTim