[kictanet] Yawe for Post Master General

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 11:51:47 EAT 2010

Hi,

An addressing system for CBD was complete a couple of years ago, the issue is in
appreciating the business potential in doing this.  We have a tendency as
Kenyans to implement projects in bits with no one being aware of the big
picture.

Telkom Kenya rolled out a fibre to the building project in 2001 which was
carried out and completed around 2002 it provided a nod within every island
(area enclosed by 4 roads) but due to the dual interest of the managing
directors the project never moved beyond the laying of the fibre.

A budget or project to terminate the fibre and get it hot had not been thought
about because the architect of the initial project was only interested in the
kickbacks from the purchase of the fibre cable and the subcontracts to carry out
the civil works.

To avoid this short sited models PCK put down a 20 years strategy giving a clear
vision after which we can identify quick win areas targeted at the bigger
picture and avoid task based strategies.  Today if managed right PCK can triple
its revenue within 6 months and increase its direct and indirect workforce by
the same factor through very simple changes.

2 weeks ago I travelled to Isiolo to see the progress on the Resort City, at
least we found the airport land being fenced.  On the way I noted that DHL is
actually handling logistics services for Kenya Breweries, we found a DHL truck
offloading beer in Isiolo.

PCK is better placed to handle logistics much better than DHL anytime,
interestingly Kirubi of DHL was at one time MD of Kenatco which was at that time
the largest transporter in East & Central Africa.

I would like to believe that the current government has the goodwill all they
need is the right minds to implement the turnaround of which I believe I can.
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200