[kictanet] CCK cuts number portability fee for mobile user

Gerhard May gerhard.may at gmail.com
Wed May 19 20:36:34 EAT 2010

Dear all,

and this is where actually the strategic importance of MNP lies. The
strategy of charging higher tariffs to other networks and lower charges
within its own network which benefits the market leader will come to its end
/ or at least be weakened (since the calling party doesnt know anymore
whether it is an on-net or offnet call!)

Gerhard May

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> one the key barriers to customer migration. So to answer your question -
>> will you know which network you are on? -yes, because you will be legally
>> and businesswise a Zain customer.  And so Zain Intra and Extra-network calls
>> tariffs will apply -both of which have come down anyway :-(, someone from
>> Zain needs to pay me for this free marketing.
>>
>> The only problem ofcourse will be what happens to your M-Pesa, M-Kesho and
>> M-Whatever comes up from the endless innovation of Safaricom. If Number
>> portability is allowing you to migrate voice only, then its impact would be
>> quite minimal. Infact Safcom may harvest some customers instead?....Sam
>> Gatere has already  asked about this and hope someone gives us an answer.
>>
>> walu.
>>

>> --- On *Wed, 5/19/10, Andrea Bohnstedt <
>> andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com<http://mc/compose?to=andrea.bohnstedt@ratio-magazine.com>
>> >* wrote:
>>

>> From: Andrea Bohnstedt <andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com<http://mc/compose?to=andrea.bohnstedt@ratio-magazine.com>
>> >
>> Subject: Re: [kictanet] CCK cuts number portability fee for mobile user
>> To: jwalu at yahoo.com <http://mc/compose?to=jwalu@yahoo.com>
>>
>> Cc: "KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions" <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke<http://mc/compose?to=kictanet@lists.kictanet.or.ke>
>> >
>> Date: Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 1:54 PM
>>

>> Possibly a dumb question, but once we have number portability, I won't
>> know if I am making a call on the same network or not, right? So no way of
>> avoiding higher cross network charges?
>>
>> On 19 May 2010 07:46, muriuki mureithi <mureithi at summitstrategies.co.ke<http://mc/compose?to=mureithi@summitstrategies.co.ke>
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi listers
>>> On the day MNP becomes operational,  the market dynamics for the growth
>>> sector will change,  Safaricom will focus on retaining their customers
>>> while the other competitors will exert their energies to entice customers
>>> out of    Safaricom. For the other operators,  its much cheaper to
>>> capture
>>> new customers from Safaricom  than make   huge investments to sensitise
>>> and
>>> educate new customers whose capacity to pay is increasingly  lower .
>>>  With
>>> energy focused inwards  , who will grow the market and increase the
>>> national
>>> penetration? Considering that the 60% of our  economy is based around
>>> Nairobi, it certainly will not make sense to focus on the rural areas
>>> where
>>> huge investments are required - instead just cannibalise the existing
>>> market
>>> and penalise the rural effort .
>>>
>>> CCK should consider  a package to go hand in hand with introduction of
>>> MNP
>>> to ensure that the market grows to bring on board the 50% who are not yet

>>> from the prevailing tariffs charged by the operator at the time of
>>> switching
>>> over.Mobile subscribers are expected to start utilising the service
>>> before
>>> the end of the year."A one-time porting fee of Sh199.80 will be charged
>>> by
>>> porting subscriber. If there are services a subscriber still wishes to
>>> enjoy
>>> then that's enough reason why he should not port out. But a subscriber
>>> can
>>> port back to his former network if attractive services are introduced ,"
>>> said Mr Mutua Muthusi, assistant director, public relations and
>>> communication."Porting service will only enable you to retain the number
>>> you
>>> were assigned by Network X while in Network Y. You will retain no
>>> relationship with your former provider if you decide to port out."Zain
>>> Kenya
>>> says other than the porting fees, there may still be other costs arising
>>> from interfacing the equipment of various operators with the data base
>>> manager, as it is not clear who will bear such costs or that of upgrades
>>> for
>>> interfacing with the database.Mr Rene Meza, the managing director of Zain
>>> Kenya, says the company has started positioning ahead of the
>>> implementation
>>> of the number portability service because it believes that customers will
>>> move to the operator that offers best value and that there are still
>>> issues
>>> to be sorted out such as interoperability of the money transfer
>>> systems."At
>>> present, the money systems of various operators are not fully integrated
>>> or
>>> interoperable. We believe it is just a matter of time before regulators,
>>> especially the Central Bank, begin to push for full integration and
>>> interoperability," said Mr Rene.Last Thursday, the operator reduced its
>>> calls to other networks to six shillings from Sh12 from 6pm to 6am and
>>> three
>>> shillings for calls made on its network.A subscriber switching or
>>> migrating
>>> from operator X to Y can only switch back to his previous operator after
>>> paying another similar porting amount.Once a subscriber has crossed over
>>> another network, he cannot enjoy any of the services provided by the
>>> former
>>> operator.This means that if a subscriber switches from operator X to Y