[kictanet] CCK cuts number portability fee for mobile user

Stephen Chege SChege at Safaricom.co.ke
Wed May 19 15:09:14 EAT 2010

I think what Andrea has asked is; how will you know that the person you
are calling is on the same network? In the example below by Walu, you
may have moved to Zain but everyone could assume that you are still with
Safcom because of your 072XXX number. This lack of awareness is a
drawback to MNP as callers experience 'bill-shocks' when they discover
that they have been calling an off-net number.

Andrea; to answer your query, where MNP has been introduced operators
are requested by Regulators to notify a caller that the call they are
making is off-net, this can be done through a pre-recorded message or a
tone.

We hope CCK shall invite operators to discuss this and other regulatory
issues surrounding the technical aspects of porting.

Steve