[kictanet] African Globelics Doctoral Academy (AGDA) 2010, July 2010

Mwololo Tim waema at uonbi.ac.ke
Tue May 18 08:05:51 EAT 2010

Dear Colleagues,

Please see ad below for a Doctoral academy for ICT4D and STI4D PhD students.
Please distribute to as many PhD students as you can. Sorry for any
cross-posting.

Regards

tim waema
*

African Globelics Doctoral Academy (AGDA) 2010, July 2010, University of
Nairobi, Kenya*

 *Introduction*

We are delighted to announce that the first African Globelics Doctoral
Academy for Research on Innovation and Technology Systems (AGDARITS) for
Development will be held at the University of Nairobi, Kenya from 4-16 July
2010. It is organized by SARCHi-IERI of Tshwane University of Technology,
South Africa, and the School of Computing and Informatics of the University
of Nairobi, Kenya. The inaugural training is supported by Sida/SAREC,
Sweden. This begins a systematic way of building quality training of PhDs in
Africa to be run alternatively by different hosts in each region of Africa
by drawing support from both inside and outside Africa.

 *Purpose*

The purpose of the first AGDARITS is to support the training of African
Ph.D. students from the five regions of Africa by including at least 5 PhD
candidates doing research on science, technology and innovation for
development (STI4D) and ICT for development (ICT4D) from the rest of the
world and 30 from African universities. The candidates should be advanced
Ph.D. students with research areas related to productive power economics of
innovation, STI4D and ICT4D and innovation systems. The Academy will bring
together frontier researchers in STI4D and ICT4D and innovation systems from
around the world to guide and mentor African Ph.D. students from the five
regions of Africa and the rest of the world in order to inspire and qualify
in their work and to help them to join high-quality research networks in
their field of research.

 *Expected outcome*

AGDARITS is an intensive PhD training program expected to increase the
quality of the PhD work undertaken by Africa’s emerging scholars. The PhD
candidates will learn from senior researchers/scholars, from their own
colleagues and from the program that includes research methodologies,
emergent scholars’ presentations and feedbacks and lectures. The emergent
researcher will return equipped with strong methodological, conceptual and
theoretical knowledge to explore and dissect empirically any of the research
chosen for writing PhD theses.

 *Resource persons*

The academy will be facilitated by senior scholars on ICT4D and STI4D from
universities inside and outside Africa. It will also include presentations
by policy makers in both ICT and STI.

 Exhibition and computer laboratory

The African Globelics Doctoral Academy’s PhD training would require an
intensive combination of quantitative and qualitative research methods. Such
a training programme requires that emergent researchers learn to simulate
data in a computer laboratory. Training in STATA software, NVIVO, SPSS or
other statistical software, Altiris and other software packages will be
useful to offer along with the formal teaching and presentation by both
senior and emergent researchers in the academy.

 PhD candidates are therefore expected to participate in these computer
laboratory sessions to consolidate their research methods knowledge on the
basis of choice. Candidates are also encouraged to exhibit interesting
simulations that they are working on.

 *Participants*

AGDARITS will be mainly composed of the PhD scholars that get selected every
year possibly 6 from each of the five regions of Africa and another 5 from
the rest of the world. The number of PhD scholars will be a maximum 35 in
every round from disciplines related to policy oriented analysis of science,
technology and innovation systems.

 *Qualification requirements*

To qualify for participation, the doctoral student should fulfill the
following requirements:

   -

   be at least in the beginning of his/her second year;
   -

   work explicitly on issues related to STI4D and ICT4D;
   -

   be able to present an original paper associated with his/her doctoral
   work.

 Participants must submit an extended abstract of no less than 5 pages by
June 1, 2010. basis of a general call for Abstracts. Selection aims at
promoting diversity among participants, making sure that PhD candidates from
each region of Africa and at least another 5 from the rest of the world are
represented. The candidates from each geographical region of Africa-South,
East, West, Central and North Africans- and from the rest of the world -with
the best CVs and the most promising research proposals will be selected.

The Ph.D. training will be based on scholarly lectures as well as
presentations from the Ph.D. emergent researchers. Presentations by the
emergent scholars are expected to focus explicitly on their on-going
research, its methodological challenges and contribution to the advancement
of knowledge on STI4D and ICT4D.

 *Submission*

Abstracts should be typed double-spaced in English. The abstract should
state the objectives, methodology, expected results and conclusions of the
work, including supporting figures and main references.

The abstract, CV and a recommendation letter from the supervisor or from
another senior scholar should be uploaded into
http://agda.uonbi.ac.kebefore June 1, 2010. Copies can also be send to
the Local Secretariat whose
contacts are given below.

 *Selection*

Potential PhD candidates’ selection will be based upon evaluation of an
extended abstract of up to three pages describing the student’s research,
together with the student’s CV and a recommendation letter from the
supervisor or from another senior scholar.

 *Sponsorship*

Meals will be provided by the Local Organization. Expenses with
accommodation and travel for doctoral student participants will be covered
for those selected and sponsored. Funding will be awarded selectively on the
basis of applications – students must specify in their application whether
they will require funding, providing an estimate of the amount required for
travel expenses. Please note that we are organizing this Program on a
limited budget and therefore only modest costs will be met for sponsored
candidates.

 *Support*

The first AGDARITS is supported by

   -

   Sida /SAREC (http://www.sida.se)

   -

   University of Nairobi (http://www.uonbi.ac.ke)
   -

   IERI-SARCHI TUT (http://www.ieri.org.za)

 *Organization*

The first ADA is jointly organized by the School of Informatics and
Computing of the University of Nairobi, Kenya and the South African Research
Chairs Initiative on Innovation Studies of the Institute for Economics
Research on Innovation, Pretoria, South Africa (SARCHi-IERI) at Tshawne
University of Technology.

 *Coordinating team*

   -

   Prof. Mammo Muchie, mammo at ihis.aau.dk, muchiem at tut.ac.za