[kictanet] Article on Kenya ICT Policy-publication version FOR YOU!

Wamuyu Gatheru wamuyulearn at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 12 19:13:31 EAT 2010

Wairigia,
I have just read your work (although I had heard of it). Your article is well written and even entertaining. However, there is a significant error on Process (pg 108) where you say "The 2004 decision of the Min of Info and Comm to release to the public, and then solicit and incorporate public comment into the Kenya ICT policy represents the first time that the Kenyan govt has ever solicited comments on any policy in any sector."

Since the 2001 PRSP process, participatory planning is the norm rather than the exception. There is a draft GOK participatory policy. Some conclusive participatory policy processes I can think of since 2002 include water, public procurement, insurance and capital mkts. A 6 year highly participatory and politically contentious land policy was recently passed. Then we have Constitutional reform where we go to another referendum shortly - that may change institutions and politics dramatically.

I was also wondering, but have no evidence, if Kenya gets more from elements of policy than its neighbours (that may more than make up for Kenya's comparative time lag in policy dev.). Kenya's Mpesa, Kenswitch (bank interconnecitivity), news SMS service, electronic bill payments etc may be unmatched in the region.

regards,
Wamuyu
P/S The low universal access implementation, relative to our neighbours, is significant food for thought