[kictanet] Call for opinions - CCK vs Safaricom

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Fri May 7 17:57:25 EAT 2010

Amusing little factoid:

In 2004, when Celtel acquired Kencell:
'Kencell, with about 1.2 million subscribers, has recently lost market share
to rival Safaricom, a joint venture of Kenya's state-owned Telkom Kenya and
Britain's Vodafone. Safaricom's subscribers have grown to 1.8 million,
increasing its share to 60% from about 50%.

So Celtel/Zain managed to work their way down from 50% to 14% or so over the
past six years. Must have been quite a slippery playing field.

(http://www.regulateonline.org/2003/intelecon/2004/May/A-Kenya-040525.htm)

Andrea Bohnstedt
Publisher
+254 720 960 322