[kictanet] Safcom vs the Rest? Or is it a Case of Ownership Model

emmanuel.khisa at kadet.co.ke emmanuel.khisa at kadet.co.ke
Thu May 6 05:51:57 EAT 2010

There seems to be alot of heat regarding the new regulations, quite frankly the three other players aside from Safaricom are just not getting some things right, in the process they are engaging themselves in this defeatist celebration. I live it to time to inform us on who will really win in this war.

My contention with the whole local Telco Industry is the infiltration of the Foreigners. I dare say here that no more than 49 percent of our mobile network operators should be owned by foreigners. The evidence is all clear, companies run by majority local holding have much better understanding of consumer needs and local dynamics and this visible in banking the Equity Banks, KCB, Family Bank. So that while the big multinationals come in reep big monies and leave, the local entities focus on reaching the remote villages. If anyone recalls isnt that the same strategy Safaricom employed and nailed it when the then KENCELL was too busy with focussing on urban elite. I therefore am of the view that next telcomms and generally ICT licensing whose target is to change the local game must not allow these Foreign Acquisition. I may be wrong but since the 90s am yet to see a local entity taken over by foreigners that stood strong there after....and sadly many cases stand as witness...Africa Online, RVR, Telkom..(Can I say Telkom again)...far too many excuses, very little to write home about. So the root is in the ownership model at inception or at acquisition. I suggest that we move from 30% local ownership to 51%+ in order to have some semblance of control in what these foreign boards are deciding for this market. Whether that is practical I don't know.

Finally if MJ is reading this email, I'd urge, ignore the detractors and do what you do best, solutions to the market that make sense. DON'T GET TIED DOWN in trying to state your case. Majority of Kenyans are behind,,, :-) Just spoke like a politician there!

My