[kictanet] CCK vs Safaricom?- and now Safcom vs the Rest?

Wamuyu Gatheru wamuyulearn at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 5 10:39:39 EAT 2010

This morning I learnt a few things from M Joseph while interviewing with KISS FM. a)  that Safaricom was not the first in the mobilie phone market b) according to many subscribers who called into the show, Safaricom is also an expensive service.

For those who didnt listen in, M Joseph claimed that the monopoly regulations should be about abuse of monopoly rather than holding the market leader back just because they lead.

If Safaricom is expensive and still leads, then the price management mechanism proposed in the regulations should not matter. Unless ofcourse their competition can lower their prices significantly while Safaricom is stuck negotiating similar prices with the CCK for three months (as the regulations propose).

Personally, if Safaricom can keep us talking even in peak times, get the Customer Care service trully accessible, improve the 3G service to match its high cost, I would prefer that they work in an unfettered manner. Like many, am a shareholder too. I also learnt that one of their competitors once said that introducing the Blackberry would be unworthwhile in a developing country! We need companies who respect the country and this market.

regards, Wamuyu
P/S Is the govt being inconsistent on monopoly? Why are the EA Breweries allowed to get away with monopoly decade after decade?