[kictanet] Stop the bus, initiate youth Centres

Crystal Watley Kigoni crystal at voicesofafrica.org
Mon May 3 17:59:06 EAT 2010

Dear Robert,

The ICT portion of the Youth Empowerment Centers should cost in the
neighborhood of 1 Million each to become operational. I am working out
proposals now to submit to the government. The original budget for the YECs
was 17 million each, but none have been completed as planned to the best of
my knowledge and I have inquired far and wide. It is intended to be done in
phases with 50 constituencies done at a time. The ones that I know that have
been done only have 1 of the 3 wings of the building completed. Also to the
best of my knowledge, none are truly functional and operational as of yet.

The 6M per constituency has not yet been allocated to another project. As
someone who cares VERY deeply about making sure that government funds for
e-Learning are used appropriately, I am proposing the funds be spent
carefully on a combination of the ICT in the YECs, Rural Internet Kiosks,
and school installations. According to my figures 6M should provide the
equipment for 1 Youth Empowerment Center per constituency, 20 small computer
labs in secondary schools, and 1 Rural Internet Kiosk per location. All of
these computer installations would have Internet connection of at least
256/512 for one year. The model is income generating at all levels and would
thus be self sustaining.

It is high time that the government and the private sector find ways to make
the most of our investments. After all, the greatest investment a country
can make is in the human capital of its citizens.

Many blessings,

Crystal

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:15 PM, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is interesting how the government can hoodwink us, I thanked the
> minister of education on the issue of the ICT buses now I see that the
> project has been baptised to Youth Centres that are supposed to incorporate
> a cyber with 15 computers, a VST centre, leisure centre and indoor games all
> at the staggering cost of 17 million each.
>
> It is claimed that the initiative is a joint effort between the ministry of
> youth affairs and the CDF, as of the reporting the ministry had already set
> up 5 centres in Central Province.
>
> You definitely cannot control a government, it does what it wants when it
> wants, I hope some of this issues have been covered in the new constitution.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert Yawe
> KAY System Technologies Ltd
> Phoenix House, 6th Floor
> P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
> Kenya
>
> Tel: +254722511225, +254202010696

Crystal "Naliaka" Watley Kigoni
Executive Director
Voices of Africa for Sustainable Development
crystal at voicesofafrica.org
http://www.voicesofafrica.org/

Intersat Africa, Ltd
Rural Internet Kiosks
Project Coordinator
crystal.kigoni at intersat.ae

Twitter: VOA_Crystal
Skype: crystal.naliaka
Facebook group: Voices of Africa

"You must be the change you wish to see" - Gandhi