[kictanet] Kenya's Safaricom says to test 4G later in 2010

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Wed Mar 31 20:01:12 EAT 2010

Dear Michael,

We are glad to read from you, and we hope you are enjoying the "Connected Govt" Summit at the Coast.

We have been raising a number of issues on the forum, related to Broadband, and by extension Mobile broadband, and now that you have responded to the 4G inquiry below, hopefully you could give us your comments on some of these pressing questions:-

*

	Is unlimited connectivity viable on Edge, 3G, 4G - etc - instead of data bundles..
*

	How can we realize price reductions on Mobile broadband connectivity - What in your "considered" opinion makes Broadband Pricing remain as high as it is, even with Fibre optic having landed, and what in your "honest" opinion do you believe will enhance price "scale downs" in the market.
*

	How can we increase broadband/mobile broadband uptake in "low" income areas, of the country, as a way of bridging the digital divide, and increasing universal coverage/access. An idea came up, of "zoning off" different income areas, such that a low income area zone, could have the privilege of access at much more reduced rates on data bundles , such as rural areas, to increase chances of uptake. Is it viable..?
*

	How about giving special discounted Data connectivity rates, to institutions of basic learning, to boost such efforts as E-Learning, as a partnership with the relevant ministries, again with special focus on the low income areas.

We pose these questions, because as a major player in the Telecoms industry, we believe your firm can help shape/lead the way towards enhanced quality & cost effective connectivity, for the benefit of all...

Harry

  _____