[kictanet] ICT Board to Create Content

kabogojn at gmail.com kabogojn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 20:41:11 EAT 2010

Robert, truly, you raise fundamental issues here together with what is the mandate of ICT board and who they report to.

Infact, am a little  disoriented about the activities of the ICT board vis-a-vis the profound strategies that the Governments needs to focus on regarding development of Local Content in the wake of 'broadband' as well as helping build a sustainable platform for the growth and development in the use of ICTs & the Internet.

There are no enabling laws (for eGovernment, for example), no clear structure in the ICT fraternity in Kenya that would see valuable relationships built within Government and between Govt, Private Sector & Other players which would ultimately enforce a digital/IT culture in Kenya through R&D, training, etc.

Apart from the broadband (which, also, we must strategize well if we are to reap its blessings), I have not seen serious commitment in terms of ICT from Government, just some uncoordinated & selfish efforts that don't go very far.

Although my opinion may not matter, especially to those at the top of the ladder on these issues, I must admit I feel that; Something MUST be done. Something unselfish (like politicians) because ICT is the future, ICT is in the young generation and ICT is for the benefit all......so we must invest thoughtfully & heavily in ICT (or the youth for that matter). Just like the theme for 4th IGF meeting, 2009-Egypt, "Creating Opportunities for all".

John
Sent from my BlackBerry®