[kictanet] E-Government is it a myth or a reality?

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 19:43:36 EAT 2010

Listers,

I have been following discussions on this list that seem to be
touching on the above mentioned subject. We seem to be spending large
sums on meetings  strategizing and restrategizing however are we
really making any headway?  at this point in time we are still
required to "fill in some forms" whenever we seek government services
is this e-government? we are now talking about shared services i
thought e-government implemented a project that networked most
government offices, however you have to travel physically to offices
to get services, at times we confuse the public with ICT jargon what
the public needs is efficiency and effectiveness in service provision.
ICT4D on the other hand has been infiltrated by commercial interests,
i wonder what should prevail when "commercial" and "public" interests
meet, probably we should spend more money on change management,
capacity building and awareness campaigns as opposed to this "strategy
meetings" which will only lead to analysis paralysis

My thoughts

--
Barrack O. Otieno
Administrative Manager