[kictanet] Revisiting The Broadband Debate in Kenya - Do the people really want cake when they all they need is bread?

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 16:28:56 EAT 2010

How many devices in Kenya are 3G enabled (and I gather in this context what
is really meant is UMTS).    If these devices are not within reach of most
people, will operators incur huge costs upgrading their networks to 3G (let
alone 4G - even South Africa are toying with this and its not on any
operators "to do list" for 2010).  As it were even 2.5G devices are out of
reach (though after Safaricom slashed the prices of various devices today -
this may change)

But going back to the debate about mobile broadband, the point I am driving
at (albeit in a very roundabout fashion) is, do we need to be discussing 4G
at a period when operators are grappling with how to shore up revenues
(voice ARPU keeps declining, and while data usage increasing  - prices wars
still ensue and increased data usage is putting a strain on the network and
affecting QoS - in some cases this has been attributed to some 3G bandwidth
hungry devices).  Its good to move with the times but most times we need to
stop and ask if we really need it or if its an ego-driven decision...

I think 3G is a "nice to have" technology that only a handful can really
enjoy or benefit from. Rather than consider 4G and the inherent
infrastructure costs to operators (esp in a market that is most certainly
not ready for 4G never mind that is is a market that perhaps does not quite
make a good business case for 3G), I think closing access gaps should be the
industry priority....and where possible, after closing such gaps,  looking
for ways to increase data usage for existing 2G and 2.5G devices (gprs,
edge) -  for example m-government applications (within government and for
G2C, G2B),  pvt sector CRM systems, supply chain, retail, etc

Aside from applications there is the issue of  content - and with all due
respect I do not mean hawking ringtones, wallpapers or jokes - rather
availing USEFUL applications that in themselves compel people to keep using
their data bundles to access those ringtones, jokes, wallpapers, social
networks, date lines, news, free streaming media and a host of other content
- all for FREE and not to itemise the cost for each ringtone, etc Thus sell
the bandwidth NOT the items that go through it.

I believe we have the local capacity - operators need to join the fray and
meet these developers to come up with innovative and useful applications.

Sent using my 2.5G USB modem and read on my 2.5G blackberry.