[kictanet] Revisiting The Broadband Debate in Kenya

Sam Gatere sam.gatere at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 12:11:07 EAT 2010

Dear Listeners,

4G technology looks and even sounds just great!  but I think we ask the
question to early about preparedness locally to receive this technology. I
agree with Harry D.'s point that pressing for high quality broadband that is
favorably priced would be a better way to look at it. Currenly 3G services
are not accessible to many countrywide. So technologically speaking we are
not yet exploiting 3G let alone prepare for 4G! Once we get one thing right,
that is, easy and reliable access to broadband and good pricing then 4G will
be a reality.

Looking at pricing and licensing the challenges therein may need state
intervention. Some players paid full fees for 3G licensing yet others feel
the price is too high for them bear yet they want to offer the same service.
If the later are let off the hook that would mean creating an uneven play
field with different rules!

On pricing I think the providers are caught in a "catch 22" Their
operational costs still remain high (Especially Utilities e.g. power and
human resource) and they are forced to lower their prices. I'm sure the
price cuts we have seen in recent months have involved serious balancing
acts. To ensure people keep their jobs, and the companies still offer
services.
Maybe what we shall see in the very near future is value added services such
the Tripple or Quad play services. Instead of offering you just broadband
services, they may just include cable TV, Land-line phone and a family plan
Cell phone deal all for one price?

SammyG