[kictanet] Revisiting The Broadband Debate in Kenya

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Thu Mar 25 19:49:56 EAT 2010

Mr. Pius, et al,

I suppose we still have quite some "unfinished" business, on the current
Mobile broadband technologies
we have to date, the fastest being 3G.

Sometime back on this forum, an embroiling debate ensued on the licensing
structure for 3G, I do
not know if this has now been resolved. Some things in our setting seem to
have a knack of fading
off into oblivion as soon as they arise and remain open ended..

Before we talk of 4G, I think it would only be fair for pricing on Mobile
broadband data on the
current platform to be addressed ASAP, so that all and sundry can enjoy this
resource to the maximum.

Policy makers keep insisting that competition will drive down pricing.
Clearly, we've been at it over
time now and seems little is happening on ground - Why..? Because there is
literally no competition in
Mobile Broadband, where we have 2 - 3 main active players. Infact the
players track each other closely
and prices seem to be closely pegged.

When all the international Optic Fibre cables were being anxiously awaited
for, everyone hailed the
advent of "rock bottom" pricing for broadband, across board only for this to
become a mirage once
they landed. What changed..?

Now one additional cable is landing..? What does this herald. Downward
pricing..? Remains to be seen.

I'm not sure whether the it's time for the wielders of the "Big" stick now,
to deal with this once and
for all, including the main broadband sector.

I suppose, let's sustain the momentum to press for high quality broadband
experience at competitive
pricing by our standards - national..

Harry