[kictanet] GOK Shared Services conference

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 10:01:04 EAT 2010

Hi,

It is interesting to see how Safaricom can quickly spot an opportunity and take advantage of it, during the Prime Ministers Round Table meting with the private sector on Monday it was proposed that the government needs to implement a shared services infrastructure with the objective of outsourcing.

Today I read that Safaricom has organised a de-siloing session that will sensitize permanent secretaries on the need to share services to avoid duplication and increase efficiencies, this is a very commendable project.

But I would like to bring to Safaricoms attention that the government has tried this many times before with a case in point being Nyayo House where a shared infrastructure was implemented to enable all ministries and other departments housed in the building to share services such as a central PBX and operators (call center), document production center and security.

This worked for a short while after which individual ministerial interests took over and PBX systems started popping up all over the place.  It is not that the government is not aware of how to implement a shared services infrastructure but that there is no will to do so, best of lack.

Regards

 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor