[kictanet] Will broadband have an impact on e-Government demand andsupply in Kenya?

Lilian Karanja l_wkaranja at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 08:03:55 EAT 2010

Dear Andrew:
It is good to hear about the
progress made with e-Learning. Keep up with the good work, it is quite
encouraging.
Additionally, the Government of
Kenya (GoK) needs to be increasingly strategic when it comes to delivery of its
own services to ‘mwanachi’. The Kenya e-Government Programme should appreciate the
relationship between e-Government services and broadband connections. GoK needs
to add as much value to broadband with; local content, e-Learning (as noted by
Andrew Gakiria), interactive e-Gov applications, etc. Broadband can and will
create a million or more job opportunities (if not more), if and only if we add
as much value to it as possible. And my point is, the GoK (again) just as it
did with ‘the bringing of broadband to Kenya and the region’ should lead the
way with a pro-active e-Gov/Civic Engagement program so as to fast track the
use, value and appreciation of broadband especially among ‘mwananchi’. This is
really what am passionate about, if I may say so.

Such e-Gov/Civic Engagement programs
can attempt to discuss topics like:

How can access to broadband amplify the goals of open
     and accessible government (increasing public awareness and participation
     in government)?What are new uses of broadband that would further open
     government and civic participation?How do new media, including social networking tools,
     advance civic participation, and are there limitations or concerns associated
     with such use?How can broadband infrastructure and services improve
     citizen access to local and national government news, information,
     dialogue with government and other citizens, transactional efficiency, and
     participation in governance?  Does access to broadband increase the ability of the
     average citizen to make her voice heard by the government and other
     citizens, and if so, how can this be advanced?What are the benefits of video streaming or video
     conferencing of government meetings to enable participation by those who
     cannot attend a meeting in person (because of distance, cost, disability,
     illness, and the like)?Are there other applications of broadband technology
     that can improve civic participation and how can they be encouraged?

The Government of Kenya is like our
mother, if not one. She always needs to do more than others (the private sector).
She needs to try and move faster and ahead of others so as to make all of us
feel secure and comfortable using ICTs and the Internet. (I repeat) she
needs to lead the way in adding value to broadband, so that we can all
appreciate that it is the right thing to do, to go online.

Lilian