[kictanet] Used Computers

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Sat Mar 20 18:47:04 EAT 2010

Hey Aki,

You are right. Arriving at a clear benchmark might be elusive. What could be
classified as "E-waste" vis-a-viz, "Second hand"
could be a matter of conjecture, just as what may be defined as "Disposable"
or "Re-usable"

Frankly speaking, it is subjective - depending on who is handling the topic.
That is why once again, I would really call for the
adoption of a  "Multistakeholder"  based approach in most of these ICT
policy formulation. Let it be consultative - involving
Government, policy experts, researchers, dealers, environmental experts -
etcetra. An "All inclusive approach"  that will go
a long way to address all interested parties' concerns.

I echo Evans' hailing of the "open door" policy by the PS. Let's keep the
ideas alive, and not shy away from contributing for
the sake of this beloved nation's progress..

I suppose, it's time we start seeing some of these important policy debates
on resourceful forums such as this evolve into
good legislation, to have some form of teeth.

Harry

  _____