[kictanet] Unlimited internet connectivity, 3G & Broadband Pricing & Quality

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Wed Mar 10 20:41:00 EAT 2010

Listers,

We might need to be enlightened abit more on this. When we closely follow up
the developments leading to the "promotions", or "offers" as they are called
by the Service providers offering the unlimited connectivity, they came as a
result of a sustained engagement and pressure from the likes of this forum
on the providers. As expected, the offer uptake from the consumer has been
massive and unprecedented. This is indicator no.1.  Does it tell the
providers something...?

Now, if this is anything to go by, I also want to believe this to be a
perfect opportunity to measure up takeup volumes -
which if am not wrong must be turning in some tidy revenue sums,judging
especially by the slowness in connectivity when
the offer is on.. So big question is, where is the bottleneck..? Networks
capacity or Bandwidth capacity, or both? A
Question of demand superceeding supply/capacity..? A logjam...?  Definitely
indicator no.2.  We need to push and demand
our service providers to ensure they have uptake capacity of the numerous
numbers of subscribers they have taken onboard.
Otherwise, I suppose the regulator needs to step in and enforce quality of
service especially now with the numerous
complaints of service degradation.

Now, tie this in with the status of the 3G debate( Seems it's grown cold
now) - I suppose we can only demand better.
Certainly the end user is not getting value for money, I daresay, and we
need a forum ASAP with the service providers
to tell the internet fraternity what they are upto. It's so commonplace
these days for consumers to get promises of dedicated bandwidth connectivity
bundles, only for the same to turn into nightmarish clogs. I believe
sensitization
of the end user need to become key here at this rate. The Regulator have
their work cut out here..

Next, we need to know what happened with price clamp down, on general
Broadband connectivity. When internet connectivity
becomes the engine that drives the economy, just like in our case at the
moment,we can only expect all stakeholders to be very sensitive in nurturing
the same to build up capacities across all sectors.... Is anyone
listening..?

Harry