[kictanet] ICANN: Africa must work hard too...

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 21:08:17 EAT 2010

All  I left a comment yesterday, to wit:

"African countries participate in ICANN by sending reps to the GAC.

AFAIK, NO countries fund ICANN, it's registries that fund ICANN for
the most part. AfriNIC DOES make substantial contributions as part of
the ASO.

In other words, ICANN is funded (in part) by all ISPs and telcos in
Africa that have IP address blocks from AfriNIC."

see more inline below:

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:52 PM,  <alice at apc.org> wrote:
> http://wanjiku.co.ke/
>
> ICANN: Africa must work hard too...
> Comments: 3
> Available in: English

<snip>

> Of course ICANN has no role in all these things and what it points is that
> more outreach is needed and maybe ICANN should have an office in Africa.

Perhaps, but consider what has been spent on new gTLd process already
10 M USD IIRC) and what an EOI will cost (55k USD) to make up for
this.

Then consider the extra overhead of a 4th office (and a 5th, as South
America will feel unrepresented), then add those overhead costs on to
the costs of a new gTLD domain, and instead of an estimated 185k USD
to get a new gTLD, it will cost much more pricing developing country
players out of this potential market.

AfriNIC, as part of the NRO (and thus the ASO) is an ICANN process in Africa.

--
Cheers,

McTim