[kictanet] The PS in ICANN

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Tue Mar 9 16:35:02 EAT 2010

Hi Victor and all

Indeed I happened to sit close by and noted with dismay the various
omissions that went beyond acknowledging the Ministry of Information and
Communication's financial contribution and support but also to the role
other stakeholders  (company's, institution's, and individuals) have
played in not only organising this meeting but contributing to broader
ICTs for economic social, cultural and political development, as well as
placing Kenya on the Internet map.

So I shall start here,

Kudos P.S Ndemo. You not only provided crucial government support and
liaison to ensure that we hosted this meeting despite all the challenges
we encountered on the way but you provided much needed support in terms of
responding to all the various demands that  were being made of our
country.
Congratulations. We look forward to hosting the global Internet Governance
Forum (IGF) in 2010 and we know Kenya will do it yet again.

best

alice

 Maloi wrote:
> At the opening ceremony of ICANN I sat near the front seats and watched
the PS carefully as he charted with the Vice President.  In the Program
he had no funtion.  When it looked like the Minister was getting late,
he took up the Minister's speech and started to prepare to read.  When
Hon. Eng. Rege came in, the PS humbly moved out of his chair for
Mheshimiwa and came to sit with us at the back.  He then took the
Minister's speech and requested Hon. Rege to read it to which Mheshimiwa
accepted.  After the VP's speech, he escorted him out of the conference
and came back.  Suddenly he received his phone and and whispered to the
ICANN chair.  They walked out only to come back escorting his Minister.
He then asked Eng. Rege to give back the speech.  The PS gave the speech
to the Minister and sat to listen to CCK DG speak.  The ICANN president
introduced the DG as the man who wired the country and helped Kenya link
to the rest of the world.  Our good DG never bothered to correct that it
was a teamwork affair.  Other than the usual protocal mention, nobody
really acknowledged the PS or the Ministry of infocom for what he/it has
done to the ICANN in the past few months.  If I am not wrong, from what
I saw in the dailies, the Ministry donated Ksh. 7 million to ICANN and
rallied Kenyans towards the conference.